University of Kentucky
The proposed location of the tent must be approved
by the Director of the Student Center (257-5781). A signed copy of this
policy must be returned to the Student Center Director's Office. It is the
responsibility of the applicant to ensure all listed requirements for tents
are incorporated into the setup of the tent. The tent is subject to a compliance
inspection by the University Fire Marshal's Office. A tent found not to
be in compliance is subject to closure for usage. The organization/department
is responsible for the tent and the tent contents meeting the following
- NFPA 701 for flame retardness (and must
have label as such) or equivalent approval. (For classifications other
than NFPA 701, documentation must be provided.)
- No hay, straw, shavings or similar combustible
materials are permitted within the tent.
- At least one (1) five-pound all-purpose
fire extinguisher (ABC) must be provided by the applicant.
- Cooking is not permitted within tent without
prior authorization of the University Fire Marshal.
- Electrical supply must be installed by
a licensed electrician and inspected by a certified electrical inspector.
The inspection sticker must be posted on the temporary panel.
- When the side flaps of tents are utilized
and the occupant load is 50 or more, two exits must be provided and
identified with internally illuminated exit signs. In addition, emergency
lighting is required.
- Tents must be erected to meet the manufacturer's
specifications. This includes normal stability of the tent and resistance
- Support stakes must have end covers (caps).
- Anchoring ropes must be flagged to be
- All pressurized cylinders shall be secure.
- Aisles and exits must be maintained free
- Tent must be wheelchair accessible.
- When port-a-johns are provided, at least
one (1) unit must be wheelchair accessible.
- Arrangements must be made to dispose of
all trash. Charcoals must be submerged in water before disposal.
- Open flames are not permitted without
prior authorization from the University Fire Marshal's office.
- Comfort heating devices shall be pre-approved
by the University Fire Marshal's office.
- There must be at least 10 feet of clear
and unobstructed space between adjoining tents.
this Policy may be addressed to the University Fire Marshal at (859) 257-6326.
Name of Organization:
Applicant (Printed Name): _________________________
Signature of Applicant: ____________________________ Phone: _______________________
Address: _______________________ City/State/Zip: _________________________________
Location of Tent: ________________________ Date of Tent Usage: _____________________