Incompatibles Cause Explosion on UK Campus

An explosion occurred in a fume hood when a researcher mixed the waste products of nitric acid and ethanol. The lid of the waste container was capped and the bottle over pressurized and exploded almost immediately. The researcher was wearing safety glasses and a lab coat. However, the fume hood sash was above the working height as indicated by the yellow sticker. If the sash had been placed at the correct working height, the burns and lacerations that the researcher received would have been reduced.

Always keep the fume hood sash at the working height or closed when active work is not required in the fume hood.

 

Laboratory Safety | Occupational Health & Safety