Video Lending Program
service is ONLY available to University of Kentucky
To assist in preventing injuries
and illnesses in laboratories, these videos are available for viewing.
They can be borrowed from the Occupational Health and Safety Department
by UK departments.
faculty, staff and students.
- The Big Spill-Chemical Spill Prevention
and Clean-Up (15 min.) - Teaches how to prevent a "spill crime"
in the viewers lab.
- Compressed Gases: Safe Handling Procedures
(17 min.) - Explains how to safely move, store, and handle compressed
- Compressed Gases: Compressed Hazards
(17 min.) - Viewers are made aware of toxic, flammability, and
other hazards of compressed gases.
- How Safe is Your Laboratory:
- Part I: Good Lab Work Practices
and Housekeeping (35 min.)
- Part II: Personal Protection (35
- Part III: Safety Organization (40
Excellent seminar where viewers
are asked to answer the question "How Safe is Your Lab?" Starring
George H. Wahl, Jr., Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry, North Carolina
State University, and Chair of the ACS Division Chemical Health
and Safety, and James E. Miller, Ph.D., Training Instructor, OSHA.
- Marty's Guide to Chemical Storage
in the Lab (15 min.) - Documentary by Chemist Marty Dodsworth
highlighting good and bad chemical storage methods.
- Oxidation Hazards [More Than Just
Air] (17 min.) - Gives a new perspective on safe ways to work
with oxidizing materials.
- Stop That Dose (22 min.) - After
watching this offbeat (and entertaining) video, the viewer will
never forget that working with highly toxic chemicals can be very
- Things That Burn-Flammable and Combustible
Chemicals (17 min.) - Discusses how to avoid being caught in
the fire triangle.
- Centrifuge Hazards (9 min.) - Identifies
choices critical to reducing centrifuging hazards like choosing
the proper centrifuge, rotor, tubes, adapters, and speed.
Chemical Hazards (10 min.) - Identifies
Phenol-chloroform extraction, and ethanol precipitation.
- Glassware Washing Hazards (10 min.)
- This video makes labworkers aware of the hazards of improper
washing and handling of glassware.
- Practicing Safe Science (29 min.)
- Good video that covers a large number of safety hazards for
research and academic labs in a short amount of time. Starring Phil
Sharp, Ph.D, Nobel Prize winner.
- Radionuclide Hazards (12 min.) - This
video demonstrates safety procedures for the handling of radioisotopes
in a laboratory setting.
- Electrical Safety, Long Island Productions
(7 min.) - Explains fundamentals of electricity and electrical
- 28 grams of prevention ( 35 min.) -
A good but dated video for explosion prevention, and general principles
of laboratory safety.
information, send this form (see below * * ) to 252 East Maxwell
If you wish to
reserve the video, please call (859) 257-3827 or send a facsimile
Seven - Day
Review Policy. The Occupational Health & Safety Department will
allow videos to be borrowed for up to 7 days. Orders for videos must
be placed by faculty or staff members. An account number and the name
of the responsible person for the account must be provided. If not
returned or if video is damaged, the borrower or their department
will have to pay for the cost of the video.
Click here to order your video.
Laboratory Safety | Occupational
Health & Safety