Setup and Exit Survey Checklist
the responsibility of all laboratory directors, faculty, and principal
investigators conducting laboratory research to ensure that the necessary
procedures are followed when setting up or exiting a laboratory. If a
new lab intends to have materials listed below please, contact the appropriate
office. For labs exiting a space, follow all applicable actions indicated
Biological Agents Or Human Tissue - Biological Safety
- Submit an inventory of infectious agents to UK Biological Safety Officer.
- Contact the Biological Safety Office if moving a biological safety cabinet or if a cabinet is being left in the vacated lab.
• Read and follow procedures for equipment that has biohazard labels - Surplusing Lab and Medical Equipment.
• Contact Biosafety so an evaluation can be performed following cleaning and decontamination of the lab space.
Chemicals - Occupational Health And Safety
- Clean all surfaces.
- Label all chemicals.
- Keep only chemicals that are in good quality containers.
- Remove all chemicals when vacating the laboratory space.
- Recycle unwanted usable chemicals within the department or contribute to the Free Chemical List.
- Ticket expired or unwanted chemicals for Hazardous Waste Disposal.
- Fill out the Perchloric Acid Questionnaire if perchloric acid was used in the laboratory.
- Submit a hazardous chemical inventory to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) when shipping and/or receiving chemicals during lab set or exit are planned. Some chemicals are strictly prohibited from transport.
Hazardous Waste - Environmental Management
- Utilize the E-Trax system to have hazardous waste picked up. This needs to be done a least one week before the move.
- Conduct a closeout survey for each laboratory. Contact Environmental Management at least one week before the move to schedule the survey.
Radioactive Materials - Radiation Safety
- Submit Radioactive Waste Disposal tickets so radioactive waste will be removed.
- Contact Radiation Safety to schedule a laboratory survey one week before the scheduled move.