In response to significant growth in research funding and facilities the Division of Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) announces the creation of the Department of Research Safety. Research Safety will provide tailored client centered services to the UK research community, expanding and enhancing safety and compliance activities for labs utilizing biological, radiological, or chemical hazards. The departments of Radiation Safety led by Radiation Safety Officer Jason Johnson and Biological Safety led by Biosafety Officer Dee Mazzetti have been combined under the oversight of Brandy Nelson, Director, Research Safety. Additionally, chemical safety services provided to the research community previously aligned with the Occupational Safety & Health Department (OHS) will now be associated with Research Safety. Holley Hannabach will lead chemical safety and general lab safety services in the newly created role of Chemical Safety Officer. In this role, Holley will develop, implement, and direct a comprehensive chemical safety program, serve as the institutional Chemical Hygiene Officer, and ensure implementation of appropriate chemical hygiene policies and practices. Initial goals of Research Safety will include improving efficiency of operations and customer service and expanding and enhancing training and resources for the UK research community.
- Provide tailored client centered services to UK research and teaching labs.
- Reduce redundancy in safety and compliance activities for labs utilizing biological, radiological, or chemical hazards.
- Improve efficiency of operations and customer service.
- Increase efficiency of departmental operations with technology solutions.
- Support current research initiatives.
- Develop training and resources to simplify researcher compliance and enhance safety.
- Expand and enhance in-person training for research faculty, staff, and students.